Wednesday, 4 March 2015

Kanye West Speech in Oxford


What comes to mind when the name “Kanye West” is being brought up? If your answer is music, or Kim Kardashian, I’ll argue that those only deserve to come in second and third place after his ego!

When it comes to talking, we all know the rapper and producer is no stranger to the subject, especially when it is about himself. And when he’s not glorifying himself, he’s probably interjecting Taylor Swift or Beck to say that Beyoncé should have won an award.

Yes, that is very expected of him, but what happened when Kanye was made a guest speaker at British crown jewel university, Oxford, the oldest university in the English-speaking world? As the giant lecture hall was filled with students, they found out that the lessons brought forth Kanye were quite interestingly bizarre.

“I can literally hear a whisper, and it’ll throw of my stream of consciousness, and when I get my stream of consciousness going that’s when I give the best, illest quotes,” he said as he started his speech. Yes, you read that right, “illest.”

And among the highlights of his “illest” speech, included how the movie “The Matrix” is like the Bible of 2015:

“There’s a Bible saying, ‘No weapon formed against me shall prosper’. Recently I’ve been doing interviews and I’ve had to go back to this verse because I don’t think there’s a living celebrity with more weapons formed against them, but I also don’t think there’s one more prosperous. So what weapons have prospered? The smoke and mirrors of other opinions. What I said [to McQueen] was The Matrix is like the Bible of the post-information age… I compared it like when the hundred guys come at Neo, those are opinions, that’s perception, that’s tradition. Attacking people from every which angle possible. If you have a focus wide and master senseis like Laurence Fishburne and you have a squad behind you, you literally can put the world in slow motion.”

Read His Speech Here.